Wednesday, September 5, 2018 VIDEO CONFERENCING ACTIVITY AND MANNUFACTORY PREP (ZOOM FOR FLEXIBILITY)
- Community: Reconnect with the critical friend groupings you were put into in class on 8/29/2018. Connect with them on Zoom. Make sure to record your full class recording and invite both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Once you are all on Zoom, review the VLOG 1 assignment on Blackboard. Write down any questions and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com. If you have no questions--note that you have no questions in the email.
- Active-Learning: In preparation for Monday, September 10's class (when we will visit mannUfactory, I would like you to understand makerspaces and the variety of resources that are available online to help you think about innovation and design thinking. Please review the video on design thinking at https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_brown_urges_designers_to_think_big, the IDEO website at https://www.ideo.com/, the D school at Stanford's website at https://dschool.stanford.edu/resources/getting-started-with-design-thinking, and the mannUfactory website at http://makerspace.library.cornell.edu/.
- Reflect: Discuss what resources could be most useful to you approach VLOG 1 and then create a three minute Vlog as a group and upload it to Blackboard.
For Monday, September 10, 2018--we will meet in Statler 391 and walk together to mannUfactory.
Wednesday, august 30, 2018 Video conferencing activity (Zoom for perspective)
- Community: Exchange contact information with the person you are working with so you can keep in touch to support each other (email/phone). Review what level of experience you have with using video conferencing tools (which ones, how often, what functionality, etc...). Which video conferencing tools are currently on your mobile phones? Which do you use regularly, why?
- Reflect: Review the tools available for Cornellians at https://it.cornell.edu/. What tools are familiar to you? Which ones have you used before? Ensure you can access the Learning Management System that Cornell uses (Blackboard).
- Reflect: Watch the Zoom Meetings video in the videos section and explore the Zoom website at https://zoom.us/. What is the price point? What value does Zoom provide for entrepreneurs?
- Active-Learning: Download the Zoom App or access Zoom from https://it.cornell.edu/. Hold a test call and explore the functionality. What are the features? What do you like about the features?
- Reflect: Review the pitching articles in the resources section. What is important to you when you work on pitching?
- Active-Learning: Complete a Vlog (video blog) together in under two-minutes that addresses the following questions and upload it to the Learning Management System by the end of class. A) What are your experiences with video conferencing previously? B) What functionalities do you think are most important for a small business? C) What budget do you think is appropriate for a small business under five employees for video conferencing? Why? D) What are the main advantages of Zoom over Google Hangouts?
Articles for Thought
Cloud, Devices from Home Make a Perilous Mix: https://www.wsj.com/articles/cloud-devices-from-home-make-perilous-mix-1392859333.
Driverless cars in a gigantic green city: the future of air travel is coming to Oslo: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2018/03/20/oslo-airport-city-travel/